During our evening conversation we discuss:
- the association she founded, BlockFrei
- her connection with Serbia
- the connection of Politics and art
- The need for beauty in art
- Fostering a new (younger) generation of art collectors
- The importance of context for the appreciation of art
- You can can catch more flies with honey
- International curatorial residencies
- Corporate Art Collections
- Funding for NGO’s
- The need to find partners and make relationships
- Intensive study visits for curator and critics
- Creative funding
- Running and NGO
- The difficulty of small organisations in finding appropriate funding
- All of the ‘strings attached’ to funding
- The need for a standardised vocabulary for grants
- The need to adjust your project to the funders objectives
- The rise of independent curators
- The desire for a sustainable income in the arts
- Art market vs art scene vs art industry
Based in Vienna since January 2013, where in May 2013 she co – founded BLOCKFREI organization. Upon completion of her undergraduate studies at the Faculty of Philology at the University of Belgrade (Department of Albanology), she gained an MA degree on the Cultural Policy and Cultural Management at the University of Arts in Belgrade. In 2009 she started working in an independent cultural centre – The Cultural Center GRAD (2009 – 2012).
Currently, she is working on the projects in three different cities, Vienna, Belgrade (Serbia) and Korčula (Croatia), where with her activities she seeks to contribute and enrich their cultural content. While working in The Cultural Center GRAD she was in charge for project management and coordination of more than 30 projects, exhibitions, debate programs, educative seminars and conferences, such as Beyond the Wall (2009), A Soul for Europe – Forum Belgrade (2012), AiR Serbia – Artist in Residence platform (2012), Summer school in Entrepreneurship in the Arts and Culture (2009, 2010, 2011). She initiated and co-produced a regional literary project Gradska knjižnica, which was on the regular program for 6 years. She actively participated in the creation of Association of Independent Cultural Scene in Serbia and coordinated its festival project called Self Powered (2012).
She is one of the co-founders and organisers of Korčula summer festival ŠUŠUR! Festival od riči (ŠUŠUR! Festival of Words), which is annually being realised since the year 2012. The festival gathers literary authors from ex-Yugoslav region and has the aim to overcome the cultural gap that exists among the post-conflict countries.
With the establishment of BLOCKFREI, a project run association, she had created, co-created, produced and co-produced projects in the field of contemporary art, (public discussions, exhibitions, residency program, etc.) as well as projects which focus on the topics of migration and social inclusion of the refugees (workshops, conferences, exhibitions, etc.).
Please be sure to visit our Patreon page and help support the podcast. The more money raised, the larger the global reach we can offer you: